Thursday, February 13, 2014

A Different Kind of Crying

I had to take a break at work today because everything was blurry through my teary eyes.

I found out a co-worker is going on medical leave because he has lung cancer. He doesn't look that old at all. No, I don't know if he is or was a smoker because that's not my business. We're all bringing treats, gift cards, etc. to make a care package for him. I hardly know him, but he seems nice. One woman is bringing in a box of valentines tomorrow, so we can each give him a valentine. We'll be like school children again, but we won't be counting the Valentines we receive, but count the ones we give.

It has been a very long time since I cried at work, and back then I would cry or almost cry because mean bosses would yell at me. I would feel horrible because of the evil of People Abusing Their Managerial Powers. Today's near-cry felt different. It was just sadness that a bad thing has happened to a nice person, but evil people aren't involved. It's about people wanting to do kind things. I wish I could cure him or buy him something big and expensive, but all I can do is buy some little things and add to the package. And I can pray. He will know that the people in the cubicles around him do care.

1 comment:

All in His Perfect Timing said...

That has got to be so hard - on you ... on him. I'm sorry. (((HUGS)))